1. What did you do in 2017 that you’d never done before?
Researched & implemented (still) a new electronic health record for my job.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I didn’t make any resolutions last year, I’m hoping to try to get up & move around more this coming year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My middle daughter, Valerie gave birth to a son in July of 2017
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My mother passed away at the end of May, we weren’t especially close (not physically or emotionally) but it has definitely affected me over the past year more in things about my history etc. which I want clarity on & I can’t ask her (just silly trivia like what was my kindergarten teacher’s last name? (I went to a hippie school, her first name was Sally, which is what we called her)
5. What countries did you visit?
I did not leave the country yet again, I did leave the state 2 times though, in May when my uncle called me to let me know that my mother’s condition was serious & that if I was going to see her again, I should go do so, we picked up & went to Mass mother’s day weekend & had a good visit with her. Then she passed on 5/29 & we went back the third week in June (she had already made a plan to be cremated so there was no hurry) for her funeral & to clean out her apartment.
6. What would you like to have in 2018 that you lacked in 2017?
As always, more money.
7. What dates from 2017 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There were a lot. Seeing my Mother in May, her funeral & seeing all my family, the day after her funeral when the kids & I went to the beach & my cousin joined us. My youngest child’s graduation from High School
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
As mentioned above, my youngest, Cameron, graduated from High school in May, which while it was his accomplishment truly, I am proud that all 3 of my kids graduated from high school & are happy, healthy & not (at least that I know of) on meth, pills etc.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I had hoped to have the electronic health record at work all set, implemented & up & running without the old system still in use by or before Thanksgiving, as it is, we go live on January 2nd. The news that our current system was sunsetting was coincidental with the news of my mother’s death, so I got a later start than would have been preferable to me due to not being at work for awhile while we buried my mother & packed up her apartment etc.
10. What was the best thing you bought?
I’m not 100% sure I bought anything terribly wonderful. I inherited a lot of wonderful things, I also was able to save via a Christmas club so that Christmas wasn’t a complete bankrupt as it often has been in the past.
11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Cameron for his graduation from high school
12. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?
Trump, his cronies, white supremacists
13. What song will always remind you of 2017?
Stressed out by 21 Pilots
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Sleep or have more money.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
16. Did you fall in love in 2017?
17. What was your favorite TV program?
Outlander again, although I really enjoyed a lot of shows this year, Timeless, American Gods, Designated Survivor (I’ll gladly go on record here as wishing Keifer Sutherland was our president instead of the cheeto overlord)
18. What was the best book you read?
My favorite thing I read this year wasn’t a book, my mother had all of my grandmother’s historical/genealogical information including a book of memories which my grandmother’s cousin collected from all of their cousins about their parents & grandparents. Many of the stories I recalled from when they were collecting the stories (during a couple of family reunions which I helped my grandmother put on) but it was so exciting to see them written down & archived like they were.
19. What one thing would have made your year measurably more satisfying?
I wish my financial situation had been such that I could have stayed in Mass with my mother until she passed away, she was so remarkably happy to see us & sad when we left (as I said, we were not terribly close) both Lois & I wished we could have stayed & kept her company/comforted her.
20. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2017?
This place right here They’re awesome, I’ve got like 10 dresses from them so far & I just adore their clothes, so much better quality and style than the majority of the clothes I’ve purchased from other plus size sites. This place is also not just plus sizes, they’re size 0-36 how cool is that?
21. What kept you sane?
Who said I’m sane?
22. Who did you miss?
After seeing my family in June at my mother’s funeral, I’ve been missing them a lot. I wish they’d come see me though, I’ve been up there every few years for 20+ years, no one in my family has come to see me & the place I love yet.
23. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a few of my mother’s friends, none stand out as “Best” though, although I know she was close with most of them.
24. Tell us a valuable lesson you learned in 2017?
Too many to list.
25. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Again, not really an one specific quote comes to mind.