Please play too, click here & join us!
I work in a call center, yes, it’s a terrible way to make a living but it pays well & I’ve been there so long (going on 8 years) I don’t actually take calls anymore so it’s not that bad. We had a shift change where everyone had to “bid” on shifts & got the results this week. I am changing from an 8am to 4:30 shift to a 5 pm to 1:30 am shift, which is what I asked for, for many reasons. To most people I work with, the later in the day your shift starts, the less desirable it is so my choice to go to a night shift is being looked at by many of my co-workers as a step down, I don’t see it that way at all & so here’s my list of reasons why.
1. Ms 19’s schedule at her job: 6 am to 2:30 pm, as it stands currently unless she can catch a ride with a friend or her boyfriend she’s stuck at work until I arrive after working until 4:30 & chasing over to her work (40 minute ride) then another 20 minutes drive home, no one is particularly happy or pleasant on ms 19’s work days. (yes, she could get a car but she’d need her driver’s license first & to make more than $6.55 an hour so she could buy a car) she’s all for this schedule change & has agreed to live at home for at least another 6 months to a year to help me in exchange for my driving her to work & home.
2. Mr 9 & ms 12 are off the bus at 3, I won’t have to leave for work until 4 or a little later, which means if I’m clear & focused about it we can spend an hour on their homework & meaningful conversation.
3. I am not a morning person, even when I worked 9 am to 8 at night (one shift I had for the longest time ever – so far- at my job) 7:15 am came entirely too early & the past year + getting up at 6:15 is rough. I do better up late & sleeping in & it’s hard to go against my natural rhythms.
4. On Sundays & during the summer I’ll have nearly all day before 4pm to spend with the kids.
5. My new days off are Friday & Saturday, so I’ll have a whole weekend day to enjoy with the kids.
6. The late arrival at home 2:15-2:30 will help me to not eat before bed & I am not the sort of person who has to wind down I can get home & be in bed within 20 minutes of arrival if I want to & I will have to make sure I want to.
7. Less face time is for the best between ms 19 & I right now. ‘Nuff said.
8. I was thinking about times I’ve been able to lose weight easily (not often) and one thing they all have in common was less rush & structure. Getting up at the butt crack of the day, as late as I can manage it & still get to work on time, & drinking a soy protein shake while I’m driving to work is not at all conducive to healthy eating habits.
9. I want to try eating scrambled eggs with salsa in the mornings again as I used to when I first moved to VA in 1988, something about protein in the mornings seems to work for me & I can’t/won’t get up & cook it before I have to go to work in the mornings.
10. Dinner finickiness, bathing issues & bedtime arguments will be ms 19’s problem, not mine & I wish her luck! Of course, as mom I do have to be the “judge” so to speak & weigh in on disputes.
11. If I’m able to not get too sleep obsessed, I should be able to get up by 10:30 am every day which gives me a nice section of day in which to get outside & exercise, enjoy myself, clean house, wash, hang & dry laundry & in the summer at least, hang out with the kids.
12. Since I DVR everything I watch in order to skip commercials anyway, it won’t make any difference in my TV viewing & may even help to minimize it, I am not sure though, how I’m going to keep up with my hour & a half a day news habit, (I watch the local & national news plus The Daily Show when it’s on, every day, without fail.) Waiting & watching the 6 o’clock news at 8, 8:30 or 9, when it’s convenient each night is different from getting up in the morning & watching last nights news at 11 am. Maybe the noon local news & a half hour of CNN? Bleah- probably NBC nightly either when I get home at night or in the morning & then the local noon news.
13. I think, especially in the next 2 months while the kids are still in school, it will “help” me blog more, I’m not on here as much as I used to be though the thoughts & ideas keep on coming which makes my head hurt when I can’t get them all out there, or here.